The Media Relations Director is responsible for leading and developing FGA's media operation to grow FGA’s brand, reach, and influence in both state and national media. The Media Relations Director will continually seek out new opportunities to engage in the media marketplace with our issues, create outreach and engagement strategies for prospective external stakeholders, and keep our current audience well informed and inspired about FGA’s success.
The ideal candidate has deep knowledge of how best to use media to place relevant content in front of policymakers via direct engagement. Timeliness and familiarity with the news cycle plays a large part in this role, and the best candidate will be experienced at creating media narratives that are timely and attractive to producers and reporters.
The ideal candidate has 3-5 years of relevant experience with deep knowledge of how to best identify and cultivate prospective media partners and distribute policy research and expertise to targeted audiences. The director will report to FGA’s Marketing Director and will manage our media vendor.
CULTURE AND FIT
Success at FGA depends not only on a person’s skills, but also on their ability to fit the culture of FGA. We describe our culture with five Core Values:
- Candid to Solve—being willing to have tough conversations in order to solve issues or build trust
- Grow or Die—we don’t have a neutral gear; we must consistently challenge ourselves and each other to grow in our talents and skills
- Politically Savvy—policy doesn’t change in a vacuum, but in a political reality that we must understand and account for
- Partnership-Oriented—internal and external relationships are not transactional. That starts with our team members and the perspective that we need the rest of the team to succeed in order to win personally
- Bought in to Win—we’re at FGA because we want to change policy. No one is counting hours or widgets, we are here to get results, and sometimes that will require going the extra mile or doing a job that isn’t technically ours
It might help to think about the following list of questions. If you answer “yes” to all of them, you may be a fit for the team if your skill sets match the requirements below. The vast majority of those who don’t get hired or don’t last at FGA are due to a lack of fit with these values. Be prepared to have very candid conversations about them in our interview process.
- Do you wholeheartedly agree with the policies that we advocate (see org for a full description) and the underlying principles that people’s lives are made better through work, not government welfare, and that a free market creates greater freedom and equality than any command-and-control government system?
- Do you agree that embracing the realities of politics is necessary to have success in changing public policy?
- Do you tend to be the one who initiates conversations with colleagues, rather than waiting for them to come to you?
- Are you comfortable creating your own structure for work, such as setting work hours, your own priorities, and creating clarity and a workplan from a broad goal?
- Does it motivate you to think about working with a team of world-class professionals who are held to a very high standard of achieving results?
- Do you seize opportunities to try new things or improve a skill that’s relevant to your company or role?
- Are you able to build meaningful relationships (creating trust) with people you only see face to face a few times a year?
- Do you tend to lead teams by creating clarity about goals and progress, rather than proscribing the steps they need to take?
- Are you aware of your strengths and weaknesses, and do you have a practice of getting help from others to mitigate your weaknesses?
- Does it bother you if others take all the credit for the work you do?
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Media Relations Director will have three primary roles: 1) oversee FGA’s media operation; 2) manage press outreach and content promotion; 3) serve as FGA’s organizational spokesperson. Some key responsibilities are:
Oversee FGA’s media operation
- Drive FGA's media arm and manage FGA’s media vendor(s).
- Grow FGA’s media reach and continually improve media relations, placement, and strategy.
- Provide rapid feedback to the marketing director on developments in the media landscape that affect the organization.
- Grow FGA’s media reach and continually improve media placement and strategy.
- Create media strategies focused on supporting our solutions and allies.
Press outreach and content promotion
- Oversees press outreach and communications to the media, including preparing articles, press kits, reporter briefings, press releases, and other content initiatives.
- Keeps in regular contact with a select handful of chosen reporters to ensure frequent mentions and placements.
- Distribute FGA’s research and expertise to current and prospective members of our target audiences and the media at-large.
- Serve as FGA's spokesperson, representing the organization in public, delivering messages to consumers and audiences to promote, build, and maintain FGA's brand and political position.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in related field
- A track record of demonstrating FGA’s Core Values (described above)
- Ability to travel regularly, (average of three to five times per month in non-pandemic circumstances)
- Creative visionary that can pinpoint opportunities and deduce when and how to respond to changing political landscapes
- Detail-oriented self-starter and responsive, organized multi-tasker
- Strong interview presence and presentation skills
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate additional work experience
TIMING, LOCATION, AND COMPENSATION
FGA is seeking to fill this position as soon as possible. Location is flexible. While FGA’s headquarters are in Naples, FL, nearly all of FGA’s staff work remotely. It is important to note that most of our staff currently live in the Central or Eastern time zones, therefore, candidates in another area may face more lengthy travel requirements. FGA offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including a retirement program, a health benefit, and a generous paid leave plan.
Questions can be directed to Sarah Hubal, Internal Systems Director at FGA. Sarah can be reached at email@example.com